Sunday, November 22, 2009

thoughts about my daughter

i have noticed that i have become even more obsessive about my daughter's food intake since starting this journey.

since she was born i have been really committed to raising her on organic milk, whole foods and very little refined sugar to the best of my ability. but now.... i am watching her portions. not indulging her on second servings of ketchup, for example.

i know that i need to keep my behavior in check so i don't cause an eating disorder down the road.

i am rationalizing all this by telling myself that with this new lifestyle i can model good behavior and incorporate it into our lives....but honestly, i don't want to be my mom one day and watch my adult daughter take a surgical risk to correct something so out of control.

i will be at a healthy weight within 2 years. my daughter will be 5 in february. therefore, in theory, she will have very little recollection of a morbidly obese mother.

but honestly, it will kill me if she ever gets like me. i know that is horrible to say.... but it will. she has always been underweight and is now at a perfect healthy weight for her age. she wasn't even a chubby baby. i want to do everything in my power to make sure that nurture overrides nature on this issue.

sigh. i know i am rambling...but i have wanted to get this down on paper (so to speak) for about a week now. i am sure i will revisit these thoughts here now that i have opened the floodgate.

anyone having any similiar feelings?

2 comments:

  1. I can totally relate. DD just turned 2, so I have high hopes that she'll never remember her fat mommy, only her skinny mommy. And she is a big reason I am doing this - I don't want her to have food issues. Growing up, we ate fairly healthy and I wasn't overweight, so I'm not sure where my issues came from, but I, too, am scared of passing my issues onto her. Sigh.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also fear this. And strangely I fear it more so for my daughter than my son (they are two year old twins). I think that's because overweight men aren't seen the same way as an overweight woman, to some extent. Anyway, I'm trying hard to teach them good habits without putting too much emphasis on it. My mom was so extreme, having me on diets as young as 10 and that kind of screwed with me. So I really want to avoid that approach.

    ReplyDelete