it occurred to me that i have lost my "coping" mechanism. food. when i
so....yesterday i stayed home. limited my time on the computer. did not watch tv (until last night, hello celebrity rehab and real housewives). and booked up a last minute trip to disney this weekend. tonight two of my friends are coming over for a pajama party. then tomorrow the princess and i will go up to disney.
i need to find a more accessible coping mechanism than disney. trust me, i love to run away to disney. but not very practical during the work week. and i can't stay home all the time. exercise is not my thing. i don't enjoy it and it will not help me deal or escape. any ideas?
Get thee to thy shrink, Mommy! Seriously, the loss of food as a coping mechanism, coupled with the loss of serotonin boost from excessive carbs, can trigger or intensify bouts of depression.
ReplyDeleteIt may not be your issue right now, and please do not be offended that I brought this up! But I did have to increase my anti-depressants after surgery, and my surgeon had actually warned me this might happen.
Celebrity Rehab - I have been sucked into that one too. I am mesmerized by Heidi and her lips -- and not in a good way...
Feel better and have fun at Disney!
gen you made me laugh. And since you mentioned Heidi, one night when I was really bored, I watched the documentary on her...I think it came out last year. She is a sad sad woman these days.
ReplyDeleteI don't know if I ever found a replacement for food. I didnt really mourn it. Um...blogging? Napping? Hell I don't know. maybe I need a shrink too!
That's a tough one!! I hope you can find something you love, something to soothe you. It's hard but I am able to find some things at the gym that are not so bad, and the payoff is ONLY when I'm finished. The feeling, the relaxation....it's different for everyone, I guess.
ReplyDeleteI am also struggling with coping. I sometimes fall back into old habits and use the old food to feel better. But I just can't get the high from it anymore... though I still try. Honestly, working out has gotten me through a lot. If you can get yourself started on something the good feelings start flowing and you stick with it. Easier said then done though! :)
ReplyDeleteI've never replaced my food as coping tool, so I don't too much advice. I think it is something we all need to take time to work on or we'll be back where we started one day.
ReplyDeleteI hope you have a great time at Disney! Say hi all princesses!
What a great blog! I'm on a journey to lose weight, too... this time for good! It's tough, isn't it? lol...
ReplyDeleteAnywho, just wanted to let you know I enjoyed reading your blog!
My replacement for food coping is turning out to be an expensive one which the dh doesnt like..I buy bags !! Although I agree that Disney is a wonderful place I go there often as well ( my sister works for them) you need to find an alternative. i think Gen had a very valid point !! I know that for a couple of weeks after surgery I just randomly cried at the stupidest things !! ( ie commercials). Have a great time at Disney but when you come back you need to really focus on you.
ReplyDelete