Tuesday, March 23, 2010

cravings and thoughts on being sober....

last night at support group we talked about cravings. our coordinator gave us a hand-out on managing them. it is pretty typical with lap band patients that cravings come back with a vengeance by the year anniversary, according to her. being the overachiever that i am, mine came back at the start of month 4. and she says that my experience is pretty normal in that my cravings have been replaced with something else. for me, it used to be salty, crunchy food. now it is sweet, milky chocolate. as of yet, i have mostly satisfied this new craving with my EAS shakes...ok, except for the couple few times i have have stolen mini m&ms right out of the princesses grubby little hands.....


one of our past guest speakers (i think it was my current therapist) talked about how when we are craving something crunchy it could be because we are angry and the crunching is getting our anger out. i totally forget what she said craving sweets mean since at the time i thought i was a salty crunchy kind of girl. but i do think it is interesting that my cravings don't symbolize anger anymore...maybe i should stop here since i don't remember what chocolate cravings mean and i would hate for you all to think it means i am sexually repressed or something...lol....

the handout we got last night had a chart for handling cravings. for example...for salt...try eating more seaweed, black beans and vegetables. try eating less sweets, fats, alcohol, meats, grains and processed foods. instead try eating natural soy sauce, miso, herbs and spices.

i also asked the veterans last night about drinking hard liquor. i was not prepared for the sobriety that the band brought and i am ready to get back in the game. i have had wine (which i barely consider alcohol) but i miss my dark beautiful rum. my only worry has been tolerance. they said that i could knocked on my ass quicker but i should be fine. i am ready... i have an upcoming trip (princess-free) to new orleans and a party next month. so those of you who read this blog who know me in real life...look out grrls, heidi is back in action! lol. who's gonna hold my hair back?

one last thing... i have decided to tweet.  you can see a link to it up there...on the right hand side of my blog.  tweets will probably be more cynical and observationist as we go on.  some about the band but more not about the band.

5 comments:

  1. Well I sure wish I knew what it was that causes my cravings! I am now at 4 months since Surgery, and I crave just about everything! But especially sweets. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm only 2 months out, and I'm already having horrible cravings...can anyone say "restriction get here soon" ;)

    I think that whole crave crunchy thing is right on.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah, interesting about the crunchy/angry connection...

    New Orleans sounds great. THOSE tweets should be fun.

    ReplyDelete
  4. "Why is the rum always gone?" Jack Sparrow, Pirates of the Caribbean. Party on, Girl.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I had my first glass of wine since surgery the other night, and wow, I was feeling it! But if you are handling wine ok, I think you'd be fine with rum (in moderation of course, hahahaha).

    ReplyDelete