Sunday, December 5, 2010

not hungry...

i have no appetite.   well.  that is a lie.  i have no real appetite for real food like protein.  i have no problem eating when it comes to chocolate covered mickey pretzels, though. 

beginning last night and through tuesday night i am hosting 4 events at my house...last night was friends hannukah party.   tonight is family hannukah party.   tomorrow is "straight" book club holiday party and then tuesday is "lesbian" book club at my house.    lots of food, to say the least.   i love to cook and entertain.  and even before surgery, i would remember that by the time i got done cooking and serving i would be too exhausted to eat.   last night i was not exhausted.  i just couldn't eat.  it is so weird to me to have a plate of food in front of me and not have any desire to eat it.

it is the same thing with people who buy something "just for a taste".... that blows my mind.  you take a bit out of a sandwich and throw it away?  crazy.  just crazy.

yesterday i went to macys and bought myself a coat.    it is a jason kole wool peacoat.  very cute.   size large (had to get that in).   it was weird for me to buy what i was thinking as a "forever" coat.   since i have been trying to lose weight the last twenty years i always resisted buying staples like a coat because "this year i swear i am going to lose weight".  i did have one long wool coat that was useful when i lived in charlotte and atlanta and for travel....but i have had that one for almost 20 years...and i never bought anything else because that was my staple to hold me over "while i lost weight".  so the price tag on the coat i found yesterday was $185.    i did not pull it off the rack because the saleswoman ran around the floor finding me all kinds of peacoats (i have one of the most helpful macys by my house).   so....i really liked it.   liked how i looked in it and resigned myself to pay the $$$$ for it....knowing it would most likely be my forever coat.   so, i have to tell you i was much delighted when it rang up for $89!    but here is the thing... i also saw a jacket at the GAP i liked.   i have a 40% off coupon good for this thursday so i am going to go back and get that too.   they have different looks to them and i like them both equally.

this is new for me....(and a small lesson my former girlfriend helped me to discover).... when you weigh 373 pounds you are just happy "something" fits you.   you don't really pay attention to how it looks on you --- as long as it goes over your head and no buttons pop.  right?  now  that i am in a more normal range -- i am looking at how it fits and also looking for more options -- more looks.   so now, for the first time in my life, it makes sense to me to own more than one winter coat/jacket.   new for me.

2 comments:

  1. Oddly enough I've been thinking about "goal" coats this week. My husband has promised to buy me a Boden velvet coat when I get to goal.
    Would love to see pictures of you in your bargain coats!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hear hear! Pictures are a must!

    BTW..... I too got myself a new coat. Mostly because my winter coat for the last 3 years was a size 30/32 from Avenue. Coats aren't optional in Michigan (well, maybe in July they're optional) and when I put that 30/32 on, I looked like a little girl wearing her daddy's coat.

    I found a coat at JCPenney that I loved, but it was $200. So, I did that dreaded "open a credit card, get 30% off" what I didn't realize was the 40% off sale as well..... got that coat for $80.00 ANA coat, size XL. It was slightly tight when I bought it. Now it fits just right :)

    I'll put pix of my ANA coat on my blog, if you put pix of your Jason Kole pea coat on yours!!!!!

    xxooK

    ReplyDelete