it was nice to be in DC this weekend and enjoy food a little, but at the same time not go hog-wild. if within this restriction range is where i will be for the rest of my life, i will be happy.
a lot has been going on here. a week ago last friday my great aunt was supposed to have a colonoscopy. she couple not get the drinky thing down. that led to a dx of impaction which lead to emergency surgery which led to a dx of intestinal cancer. she never really came out of surgery. not a coma, but heavy sedation. i was lucky to be with her during her only two known times of communication and consciousness. two days out of surgery she was on a respirator. this past friday she was taken off the respirator and died two minutes later. one week of illness. never knew she had terminal cancer. died peacefully. what a way to live a life and die. it is sad, sure. but it was her time. i miss her dearly. i have some regrets. she was the aunt i spoke to my therapist about reaching out to when my mom could not be my "grocery store". but, i also understand this was her time.
i did see my sister yesterday at the funeral. my sister hates me. (no sympathy needed). she hates me because i am her big ole dykey sister who was never rejected by our family...who has done well for herself.... i also gave our parents their only grandchild (her controlling husband has seen to it that they will never have kids). she lives 10 minutes away from me and refuses to "know" me anymore. this is pretty recent in the last few years. we actually grew up super close in a beaver cleaver house and she even followed me to college. after meeting her husband everything changed. it is sad. it could break my heart if i let it, but a couple years ago i gave up. my parents suffer the same cold shoulder as i do. it was pointed out to me more than once yesterday that my recent weight loss is only going to make her "hate" me more. pathetic. oh well. what i feel more sad about for her is that she was basically an "outsider" at the funeral due to her own isolation and she just looks so sad and miserable in life in general.
that being said...our weekend in DC was wonderful. after a couple weeks of being away from home most nights and relying on babysitters, it was nice to have 24/7 one on one time with the princess. she has been traveling with me extensively since she was 6 months old and is a great traveler. very easygoing and patient with the travel stuff. in our short time there we went to the national women in the arts museum, chinatown, the white house, the national book festival, eastern market, georgetown, the national building museum, chinatown again and the national portrait gallery/museum of american art. except for the building museum, all the museums and cultural places where chosen by my princess.
i am realizing that i need to slow down my life a little. i feel overextended and absent from home a lot lately. i am trying the dating thing again. we'll see....
looks like you all had a great time in Chicago and i need to stop looking at your pictures before i get a complex and start having a pity party singing "nobody likes me, everybody hate me i am going to go and eat some protein rich worms"......
Sounds like you never stopped in DC. Glad you had a great time. My husband is estranged from his sister and while it's sad, there really is not other option.
ReplyDeleteSo sorry about your aunt!
ReplyDeleteGlad you had a good trip.
Your sis sounds really unhappy. I hope she wakes up to the misery one of these days and gets out. When she does I hope you can forge some sort of relationship.
So sorry about your loss...
ReplyDeleteSo sorry for your loss.
ReplyDeleteWe missed yo in Chicago - we all like you. :)
Too bad you were in DC the same weekend I was in Chicago - I live in the 'burbs between DC & Baltimore - I would have loved to meet you.
Sorry for your loss about your aunt and really sorry about your sisters loss! She is missing out on the greatest relationship a woman can have and that is with her sister!
ReplyDeleteShe is also missing out on seeing her beautiful niece grow up!
My sister and I were always close growing up but after the tragedy of my dad and brother-in-law getting killed in May, I don't even know what I would do without her in my life. Your sister is wasting precious time.
Hopefully one day she will come around and if not, its her loss! Missed you in chicago!
I am so sorry to hear about the loss of your aunt. How horrible and yet, as you said, what a way to live a life and die, it was her time. I lost my mom to colon cancer in 2004 and I would not wish that on anyone, sad as the loss is, it sounds like she did not suffer and that is priceless.
ReplyDeleteAs for your sister...I do have some sympathy to share. For her. :) How horrible. I hope that something can happen in the future to remedy this. You are wise to not put this on your own shoulders.
Glad you enjoyed DC. You guys sure did a lot!
xoxoxo
ReplyDeleteI'm so sorry to hear about your aunt! big hug
I feel a bit sorry for your sister... knowing you is a bright spot in my life, and I don't have anywhere near the access she has available to her. It's a sad situation.
Sounds like you and princess had a great time in DC! I wish my guys were more travel-worthy. But when they were little, I spared the rest of the world the craziness of having triplets! We're starting to get out now....... and they're having a ball :)
Hugs to you my Heidi-poo! xoxoxox
I'm sorry for your loss. Happy for your one on one trip with the princess. (She so adobes!!!)
ReplyDeleteAnd sorry about the situation with your sister. I hope she comes around and realizes what she's missing out on. It must be hard for your to see her like that - I can't imagine, I have a sister and I only want what's best for her. I think you've done the right thing though - you can't make her change, just let her do her thing and she'll have to come around eventually. You have to take care of you and your daughter - you don't have time to make yourself sick over her.
Thanks for your comments on my blog and the Chicago pics. We missed you so much - we all like you!!! You will come if the next one is in FL right? And NOLA? I sure hope so. I want to be in an Amy/Heidi sammich.
Oops..that was supposed to be adorbs. (Adorable) Dang spell check!
ReplyDelete