i know so many of you who have gone through this before had major struggles at six months. i hear a lot about it at support group too. i am very aware that is when the real work begins. the weight loss has been fast and easy. but now is the time to meld my mind, body and soul.
from the mind stuff i feel like i am in a good position to handle things. i have a great therapist. i am digging deep into some issues that may have led to my obesity and i am open to the process.
from a body standpoint i understand and work the band and i have really started to get more physically active in hopes of scaring off that common 6-month plateau. not really on an exercise routine but i know that would not work for me. instead i am getting out and doing "things". this weekend alone i kayaked, danced all night, walked the dog park, went for a 3 mile bike ride and swam in the pool.
but my soul is what i really need to work on. what kind of person will i be when i grow up (or shrink down, in this case)? as the layers of fat are slowly peeled away i am learning so much about myself or who i really thought i was and i may not be afterall. i have always been someone who said she is "ok" with being different. but in the last week i have found myself saying the word "normal" a lot. and when you have been as different as i have for so many years, you seem to be aware (and mystified a little) by your own use of the word "normal".
i never really had coming-out angst. i was one of those people who adults, kids, teachers, etc always just assumed was gay. but as i go through this weight loss and rediscovery process i am finally understanding more how confusing the coming out process may be for some people. you spend your whole life thinking you were one way to only wake up and discover you may have been living a lie. (don't worry my lesbian real-life friends...i am not questioning my sexuality....you will always have me on your team...barring a 3some with marky mark, of course ;-)
the next six months should be interesting to say the least. having met my latest goal of at least 65 pounds lost by Mother's Day i am ready for my next goal. i would like to lose 25 more pounds by July 24th. the princess and i are going on a two week road trip around that time and i would like to have a total of 90 pounds lost under my belt before i see my cousins and relatives. i worry that it may be a challenge, but i am up for it! it will motivate me to move more and stay on track with the program. it also puts me on the path to be 100 pounds down by my 38th (Jr. I actually just typed 39 --lol) birthday in mid-September.
wishing you a day of skinny thoughts....

HOLY collarbones!
ReplyDeleteYou've done so much work to get to where you are at 6-months post op, and it shows! You glow in your pics, you sound happy/satisfied/content when you write, and you are losing weight at a great rate. Sounds to me like you should just keep on keepin' on until you NEED to change something.
As for figuring out who you are as the layers peel away, I hope that you find someone who you like even more than you do now. At least, that's what I am hoping for. I like who I am, and I want to like the new me even more. It sounds like you are confident in who you were and I bet you'll be even more confident and comfortable with who you are about to become.
Congrats on a great start to this lifelong journey! I'm so happy to be on this journey with you, and I can't wait to meet you! Soon - I'll email you this week, as we should finally have some answers as to WHEN! Phew!
You've done such an awesome job these last 6 months, I'm sure the you will kick band but in the next 6! And always be true to who you are!!!
ReplyDeleteCongrats on the great success!
ReplyDeleteYou are doing so well! Great job!
ReplyDeleteYou are so lucky to have found a good therapist to help you on this journey. At the same time you are losing weight, you are gaining insight into the person you really want to be. I know you are going to make your July goal. Fitting exercise into your normal life and enjoying it is the best way to go. Lastly, by birthday is September 20th - are you a Virgo too?
ReplyDeleteYou're doing great. You will change but you'll just be more you...which can only be good. Trust that you are strong enough to handle and embrace any feelings that come with this journey. I know you can do it.
ReplyDeleteWhat a difference 6 months makes, eh? You look great! Keep it up. I didn't know about the trouble that came with reaching 6 months post-op. I definitely experienced it though...it lasted for almost 6 months! Like anything else, awareness is the 1st step to overcoming any obstacle. I know you can reach your July goal!
ReplyDelete