Thursday, October 3, 2013

cognitive dissonance

this morning was my "official" weekly weigh-in at home.  this is opposed to the 5 13 other times a day (everyday) that i jump on the scale.

i was down 3 pounds...to 226.   i also went to the doctor this afternoon for a fill.  got 2 more put back in. i am up to 8.5.    not sure on restriction yet as i am on fluids/mushies.  

the scale thing is so fucked up for me.   every morning i jump on the scale naked.  and every day i EXPECT the weight to be 2 pounds down.  really...i have this expectation.  and when it is not two pounds down most mornings i get discouraged.

now, here is the thing...there is a part of my mind that KNOWS that it is totally unrealistic for me to go down 2 pounds every morning.   that would be 14 pounds lost every week and 56 pounds a month.   (cue dreamy music, doves flying, and mice putting a pretty dress on me.....)

really, heidi? you rationally expect to lose 14 pounds a week?  and when you don't -- you sabotage yourself daily.... 

yes.  i do.

this really blows my mind.   i know this is not realistic but yet day in and day out i hop my jiggly naked body on the scale expecting to see a loss of 2.  

i know one solution is to stop jumping on the scale.  i can't.  i am dependent on it at this point.  i remember at one point in the height of my loss and therapy i did not have a scale.   right now i am sooooo scared of waking up at 373 pounds that i need the "security" of the scale in the house -- and more importantly the security of seeing a number on the scale every morning.   preferably 2 less than the number the day before.




1 comment:

  1. I am a fellow scale junkie and I share in your daily feelings of disappointment when I don't see a "big" loss. I have three moods after I get on the scale first thing in the morning. One is to end up angry at myself for whatever I did the day before (when it goes up even a smidge), second is to be overjoyed at what I see on the scale (when I have a "big" loss), and third is to feel ho hum (because the scale moved only a little or stayed the same). I sure wish there was a way to stop being a scale junkie. It really isn't always the perfect metric to drive my mood!

    ReplyDelete