saw the surgeon yesterday and i am going to have my gallbladder taken out next friday. it will be performed by my bariatric surgeon and done laproscopiclly. i will need to spend the night in the hospital and out of work for a week. he wanted to do it on monday (a couple days) but it would be too rushed from a hospital scheduling standpoint -- and it is not an emergency...just urgent.a gallbladder weighs 14 ounces....just sayin....
fortunately i have good insurance and the time/flexibility with work. i actually just took initiative at work last week and offered to roll my sleeves up and fix another department and all those initial changes were supposed to be unveiled the week i will now be out. but that is ok...they can wait a week. but it does mean that most likely i will now work through most of the princess' spring break mid-March. oh well. Camp Grandma was chomping at the bit anyways for a week of spring break at her house....
the surgeon said i had a very bad attack and that i could choose to keep it in but that the likelihood of the attacks reoccurring and getting worse is a strong possibility. i am a solo mom. i travel the state during the day for work and travel a lot on weekends alone with my daughter. the idea of this happening again --alone-- with the princess stresses me out.
the other thing the hospital ultrasound discovered is that i have two well defined masses on my liver (hepatocellular adenoma). the surgeon said that benign liver tumors are not uncommon in women my age and are often caused by birth control. (even though i do not have sex with men, i do have mirena because i am in love with the idea of no periods for 5 years and it helps control my fibroids -- and of course i will man up and take my period if it makes this problem go away) ...so after the gallbladder issue is behind me, he wants me to have an MRI and then he will refer me to a liver specialist. i am a mom to a young girl -- so OF COURSE these are JUST some benign tumors that will go away...right? the history of pancreatic and liver cancer in my family has no bearing whatsoever here.....
Definitely the right decision to have your gallbladder removed. I know it's not hard not to be worried about the masses on your liver, but of course they are benign.
ReplyDeleteI'm with Bonnie. I had mine removed about 7 years ago. The recovery was much easier than the lap band. Good luck and keep us posted.
ReplyDeleteAbsolutely benign...do not even think differently! Good luck with the surgery, I am sure you will bounce right back! Thank God for moms jumping in to help with our little ones, right?
ReplyDeleteGood Luck with your surgery, had mine removed 15yrs ago and I hear it is easier now
ReplyDeleteGood luck! Keep us posted on everything!
ReplyDeleteSo sorry to hear about the Gallbladder, but I'm sure that you are making the right decision about having it removed.
ReplyDeleteAnd YES!! Of course the Liver masses will be proven benign! Try to keep positive thoughts. I will be thinking of you until we hear...hope that you feel better soon!
Goodness! I wish I lived closer to you! I'll be thinking about you constantly....... xoxoxox
ReplyDelete