the past two weeks have been very hard on the queer community. there has been a rash of gay suicides (and even non-gay suicides) due to bullying. it has to stop. as parents we all need to teach our children that it is NOT ok to be the loud bully or even the complacent silent bully by watching this happen.
i encourage all those out there who are not queer to "take the next step" in acceptance. give your child who you know is "different" the resources he or she needs to feel safe and find others like him or her. give your kid's friend who you *know* is gay an extra hug today and let them know that your home is always safe for them. go up to the queer co-worker who for some reason when everyone else is talking about their hot dates and spouses on monday morning says they "just watched tv" or "did stuff around the house" how their partner is. let them know that you are an ally and that you will help make work a safe and enjoyable environment for them. everyone says they are cool with gayness. it is very chic, afterall. but how far will you go? i commend you for your ability to be 100% committed to equal rights not just legally, but also through societal and cultural behavior -- for all.
in honor of coming out day i put together a video for the It Gets Better Project. Read all about it here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/It_Gets_Better and visit it here: http://www.youtube.com/user/itgetsbetterproject .
here is my video:
(it is showing on my screen with my finger in my ear at the clip....nice...lol)
I love the end! Your daughter is so cute and she looks just like you. Thank you for sharing your video here and as part of the It Gets Better campaign. No one should be treated badly for being who they are or loving who they love.
ReplyDeleteThat was really nice, and your daughter is precious! Thanks for sharing.
ReplyDelete<3
ReplyDeleteI live in Australia and I have always felt that we are a little behind in the times here. There is still a lot of acceptance issues, but there is also alot of improvement and I am hopeful that it will keep getting better and better and include legalising gay marriage and accepting that GOD loves gay people too!
ReplyDeleteI myself remember being in high school and college and its true, you do remember the individuals, the people that stand out from the crowd and I am so proud to say that these people were my friends.
They didn't care that I was straight, they accepted me for me being who I was and I accepted them for being you they were.
My brother finally came out two years ago. It broke my heart watching him go through hell trying to fight being true to himself. Now he is so happy, and I am so proud of him. He even took his boyfriend home to my parents last month. I never thought I'd see that day, but I'm thrilled when people can accept and love him and get past their ignorance and insecurities.
ReplyDeleteThat was so lovely! Thank you for sharing. And your daughter is precious. Can't wait to meet you ladies!
ReplyDelete