trying to catch up on the blogs...but i got to amy w's manifesto and decided to come back to catching up later while watching 90210.
i want to reassure you that i do use sunscreen -- not 50spf like i put on the princess but something that allows a tan. my dad is of russian decent and my mom is greek. so i will get really red but it fades pretty fast (like that day) into a nice a brown. but thanks for the reminder that i need to get my annual skin check-up. i do have a spot on my forearm that has been looked at the past couple years.
last night at book club we discussed Olive Kittenridge by Elizabeth Strout. I enjoyed it. Good read. Other books we have read in the past that I would recommend are The Pact by Jodi Picoult, Sarah's Key by Tatiana de Rosnay, Shelter Me by Juliette Fay, Not Me by Michael LaVigne and Beautiful Boy by David Sheff.
We also read the following which I was not too excited about: Three Cups of Tea, Lucky by Alice Sebold, The Elegant Gathering of White Snows.
I alway enjoy any of Jen Lancaster books for summer reading -- she talks about being fat. I also enjoyed in recent months Three Junes by Julia Glass, The Sky's the Limit by Steven Gaines (about NY real estate), The Believers by Zoe Heller, Among Other Things I've Taken Up Smoking, The Sweet In Between by Sherri Reynolds Devil in the White City by Erik Larson (Chicago history fiction).
I read Glass Castle by Jeanette Walls -- didn't like it.
On my list right now is Dorothy Allison's Trash for the lesbian book club, The Little Bee, The Spare Room, The Help and Apologize, Apologize.
um yeah. i am a closet case librarian. And I am always looking for the next book to read if you all have any suggestions.
My therapist would also be so proud of me because i am resisting the urge to offer to organize a bandster blog book club...but if anyone else wants to...i am so in!
Ok... babysitter is here tonight so I am going to go "work on my tan" and possible walk 2 miles in the process. exercise. bleh. whatever.
You are my kind of person... as I am a real life librarian (not closeted) and really appreciate people who read.
ReplyDeleteSome great books I have recently read are:
Eat, Drink, and Be From Mississippi: A Novel by Kincaid
The Book of Bright Ideas: A Novel by Kring
Laura Rider's Masterpiece by Hamilton
And about a million others... but those are my favorites as of lately.
I've just started "Beautiful Boy". I have a stack of books that I've bought second hand and then never take time to sit down and read. I really need to do that. That should be one of the things I do when I start getting "head hunger". What did you think of the book? I understand that Nic has his own book out as well.
ReplyDeleteSounds like we have alot in common. All of the books you said you didn't like (except for Glass Castle), I didn't enjoy either. All the ones you did, I did too.
ReplyDeleteI'm reading Little Bee right now and its amazing. We recently read The Piano Teacher and City of Theives for our book club and I loved both of them.
I'm an avid reader too. Although I'm not sure how a blogger book club would work...
I have been afraid to admit to anyone that I never got through Three Cups of Tea! However, I did like The Glass Castle. I've had The Help on my to-read list forever. I'm so-so on Jodi Piccoult - her books have become a bit formulaic for me. But I did make it through The Pact and enjoyed it.
ReplyDeleteOlder books that I really enjoyed (from my book club and just reading) are Cane River by Lalita Tademy, anything by Jennifer Weiner, Secret Society Girl series by Diana Peterfreund, and... I am drawing a total blank. I swear, I love to read! I'll be back with more suggestions!
Off to request all those on your list that I've not yet read (except the ones you didn't recommend!)
OH, duh. The Kite Runner and A Thousand Splendid Suns are AMAZING. Ok, I am going now.
ReplyDeleteI read lots too, have never heard of Jen Lancaster but will check her out. I'm really enjoying Dorothy Koomson at the moment, finished Goodnight Beautiful last night and sobbed so much I woke my husband up!
ReplyDeleteWould love to join a blogger book club.
hahahahahahha....manifesto! I wish I would have thought of that word when I was typing the damn thing.
ReplyDeleteYou made me giggle.
Damn you read a lot.
I miss reading a lot. Do you know that Tracey has never read and entire book for enjoyment purposes? I dont know how we are together when I think of that. Ok...I am going to write a few of those down.
Thanks for sharing!
I love to read, but have really slacked off well, since my kids have more of a social life than I, and then I got on this 3 or 4 year thing were I only read non-fiction, basically self-help. I need help, but from someone with more experience than self. But, now that I'm banded I seem to have more free time, that was once spent eating, preparing and thinking about food. So, thank you very much for the review. BTW, this weekend is the French Quarter festival, so there should be lot's to do in New Orleans, and the weather is supposed to be great!
ReplyDeleteYou think you're a closet librarian, you should see my house! I'll have to check out those books, after my I finish my baseball books of course. Sure don't know why you weren't interested in those :)
ReplyDeleteI need to get into fiction. I read tons of nonfiction, daily for my job. Never anything fun, except that I'm a little warped and think that medical reports are sometimes fun! Anyhoo...
ReplyDeleteI love a REAL tan. No criticism from me on that. I justify it because I need the endorphins and vitamin D. Mine is at 90... off the freaking charts (almost toxic)... but I feel fabulous when I do it.